Documents NeededHaving performed over 1000 ceremonies for Non-SA citizens, we understand all the legalities, procedures and documentation required to officiate your wedding. Immediately receive your marriage certificate.
Make sure what info and documents are required
We’ve created this easy questionnaire that will provide you with a personal checklist about the info and documents that are required. It is free, and will take you 5 minutes.
The information required by SA Home Affairs are listed below. We interact daily with SA Home Affairs, and are updated about changes as they happen. The information below is a guideline, and can change without notice.
Documents Required From SOUTH AFRICAN CITIZENS
- Certified copies of SA ID book/card of both Bride and Groom. SA passports of SA citizens are not accepted.
In the case of the new SA ID Smart card – a copy of the front and the back of the card is required.
- 3 ID photos each of Bride and Groom.
- Certified copies of ID book/card of two witnesses as well as their telephone numbers .
- If Divorced – a certified copy of Final Divorce Decree .
- If widowed – a certified copy of Death Certificate of deceased spouse .
- If marrying Out of Community of Property, a Letter from your Lawyer confirming your ANC (Ante Nuptial Contract).
Documents Required From ALL FOREIGN CITIZENS
ALL international documents must be originals, with Apostilles & where applicable, officially translated in English
- Certified copy of Passport.
- Certified copy of valid customs entry stamp OR Refugee Papers / Permanent residence certificate.
- If never married – an original Letter of Non Impediment from your home country with Apostille. (UK citizens exempted but an Affidavit confirming single marital status has to be produced) .
- Should your country not issue letters of Non-Impediment, an official Affidavit from your authorities to this effect is to be produced as well as a personal Affidavit declaring single marital status .
- If Divorced – the original copy of Final Divorce Decree (court stamp clearly legible), and Affidavit confirming that no marriage has been entered into since the date of divorce .
- If widowed – the original Death Certificate of deceased spouse as well as an Affidavit confirming that no marriage has been entered into since the death of spouse.
- 3 ID photos each of Bride and Bridegroom
- DHA-31 Affidavit declaring that the foreigner is not in possession of a SA ID document [we will prepare this document for you to sign before ourselves as Commissioner of Oaths]
- Certified copies of ID documents of two witnesses as well as their contact number. Foreigners may sign as witness in which case, a copy of their valid passport as well as the customs entry stamp is required.
Marriages Between SA CITIZENS And FOREIGN CITIZENS
Procedures to be followed
- In the above case couples must be interviewed by an Immigrations officer for purpose of determining that the marriage is not one of convenience.
- This interview has to take place before the date of your marriage.
- All relevant original documents as stipulated in section B.1-6 have to be submitted personally to immigration officer when making application for your interview.
- A referral letter which we will draft and email to you is also required .
- Couples both residing outside of SA, Home Affairs require you to enter the country at least 7-10 working days before the marriage and submit your documents to allow enough time for verifying all international documents with the embassy concerned as well as verifying the entry/visa stamp of non-SA citizens with customs. After such interview the report will be issued which we require to attach to our documentation for submission to SA Home Affairs.
- We may not make the appointment on the couple’s behalf.
- Original documents must be handed in at SA Home Affairs. SA Home Affairs do not accept emailed documents.
- Foreign citizens possessing a green non-SA citizen ID document are regarded as SA citizens for purpose of marriage.
- This interview is NOT necessary for marriages between two non-SA citizens.
We’ll help you get the paperwork sorted, and provide input to plan your amazing ceremony.
Contact us with any questions to see how we can help you make your preparation easier.
Let’s connect, and join in your journey of love and happiness.
The Marriage Officers at Get Married.